Friday, May 14, 2010

Beading

My mom is a jeweler so obviously she has an abundant supply of beads (some she has made with a glass torch.) Today I am stringing up some necklaces and bracelets to sell at her gallery and Etsy. I have lots of broken jewelry I found from high school that I want to renew and turn into new treasures.


Beading can sometimes take longer than you think. To get pattern ideas quicker:
-have a pandora box of random beautiful beads all together for that beginning umph.
-lay out your idea before you string it to make sure you have enough beads to go around.
-remember to save room on the ends for your fixture.



The green with connected gold beads and gold flat ones are from broken bracelets while the blue are made by my mother on a torch. Laying them out like these pictures helps give you ideas on how to get going.





Here I used stretchy sting and tied it in a knot 3 times. After beading it I glued the knot underneath the bead.
Above is my first finished product, but I still have more to come.



1 comment:

Sarah said...

I love this! remember in highschool when we went to the quarter and got huge bags of old jewelry and sorted them out at my house?