Thursday, July 15, 2010

Whimsy goes to Denver, CO

Day 30

(July 6th)

What an interesting day today! I competed in a calender competition for a club called Suite Two Hundred in downtown Denver. I was the first model there, I got there a bit early on purpose in order to get hair and makeup done early. The photographer from Red Rocks, David, had told me that one of his other models would also be there, Jennica. A blond walked in about my height and I asked her, "Are you Jennica?" To my surprise it was. She was very easy to get along with and she seems to be pretty successful with her modeling career. It makes me happy to see girls with my height (5'3 1/2) doing well in this industry-- Its about time. Tall is great and all, but us short girls have a way with strutting our stuff!

More and more girls began to show up and you could feel the competition rising. There was a complete line down the different types of girls there....SEXY (or a bit acrylic) and GORGEOUS (naturally). All the girls I got along with were in the natural beauty category and we all agreed that we didn't feel that we should have to be "SEXY" to win. Even though we all knew that was what was going to win.

The first part of competition was to pose in bathing suits for the photographer the way he wanted us in order for him to see how well we do with directions. Then you could do whatever you want. Some of these girls were pretty much naked in there string neon bikinis. They all wore heals and poked their butt to the camera, you get the picture. My friends and I were taken with what women will do to win money and we were dwelling getting in front of the camera after these girls. I decided to wear a cream short sleeve crochet shrug over an aqua tubed bathing suit. I topped it off with the string from my bathing suit around my head...very hippie like. I was the only one to not use heels, I just went on my tippy toes. Who wears heels with a bathing suit? Oh, wait, that's right...Strippers!

The photographer told me to show a shoulder and pose with a hand on the hip. This went on a few more times till it was then my turn to be creative. I felt confident with my modest, but fierce character I gave each pose. I am told my style in front of the camera is high fashion. We then had to line up for the runway show with our cocktail dresses. I wore a red-orange asymmetrical dress. I was surprised when I saw girls wearing tight knit T-shirt dresses with their butts almost falling out. As I said before...very thick line between the "Acrylics" and "Naturals" at this event.

I was second to go on stage, the girl in front and behind me were all girls I got along with very well. I especially got along well with the girl in front of me. Her name was so pretty, Phaedra, and she was so elegant. We pumped each other up a bit before. Every girl did their walk while an announcer stated something interesting about each girl from a form we all filled out.
Here's how mine went:
What food best describes you?
Guacamole because its healthy and green.
What food are you craving now?
Guacamole because you just had me talking about it earlier.
Good girl or Bad girl?
Good girl.
East coast or West coast?
South Coast.
What actress is most like you and why?
Rachel McAdams because she is a free spirit and modest.
What male actor do you have a crush on?
I left this part black because I couldn't think of one.
There were more questions than that, but that's all I can remember. You get the picture. They said I was from New Orleans and I got a huge applause. After the cocktail dresses we put our bathing suits back on (I still wore it with the shrug and headband). Some of the girls were real provocative in front of the judges. Others walked it like it was a real fashion show (me included). At the end they had us all on stage and to all my friends surprise the most provocative girl won. The runner up wasn't much better.
I walked Phaedra to her car (they made her leave because she was under 21) and I went back to the club and hung out with some of the models I made friends with. I don't have any pictures to show you yet, they are taking a long time to edit them (Its been more than a week).
However, I will illustrate this story for you eventually.

No comments: